Sunday, July 7, 2013

The Best Thing

I have been considering for a long time how to sum up my 11 months in India; and how my life is changed because of it.
I have been stuck because I am afraid of offending someone, and the thought of letting people see weaknesses in me is horrifying (although it's probably not too hard to figure out my weaknesses.) So I've decided to just speak, or type, or whatever, otherwise it will never get told.

India, was indeed an experience. I believe that the things I learned, and the things I have seen have changed the course and goals of my life forever. It would be impossible to share all the things God has taught me throughout the year because I think he taught me so much, but I'm going to start with one personal moment.

I was teaching a new boy. It was one of his first days at school, so I was just trying to figure out how much he knew and where I should start with him. His brother was causing some problems for me and got into a little bit of trouble with the office so I decided to take him outside on a walk around the grounds. I was over-enthusiastically pointing out trees and bushes (which he thought was funny because he already knew the English for it)... but something happened where he thought I was trying to take him to the office, he thought he had done something wrong, but thanks to the language barrier I couldn't explain that someone just wanted to talk to him. Finally, it was too much, he started crying. This boy had just lost both his parents within 3 months of each other. He has moved to a new place, hearing a new language... I can only imagine how overwhelming it must all be for an eleven year old.  He started explaining, "No mother, no father," and started crying even harder. All I could say was "I know, and God knows too". We ended up sitting on the rocks and crying together for some time.

When I was a freshman in high school a close friend of mine passed away. I had grown up in a Christian home, but this was a turning point in my relationship with God. I began to struggle with the questions we all ask, "How can a good God let bad things happen?" or "Why are there orphans?" or "Why is there cancer?" or "Why do people shoot each other?",  "HOW CAN GOD LET THIS STUFF HAPPEN?".
These doubts and questions and a general depression lasted for quite a long time probably around a year... I knew I was being faced with a choice. I was either going to believe in Jesus and follow Him, or I wasn't.
Obviously you can tell what I chose, but here's why.
Jesus came to give us life and have life more abundantly (John 10:10)
When his children call to him he will save them (Psalm 34:17)
When we go to him tired and burdened he will give us rest (Matthew 11:28)
If we trust him he will "make straight our paths" (Proverbs 3:4-6)
and so much more.
For instance this little boy, he has been given people who love him, who put time and effort into his spiritual life, character, and future. He goes to school, eats three meals a day, plays, and yes, he works on the farm. But after I got to know him he is one of the most joyous twelve year old I've ever known- who claimed once to have seen Jesus in a vision when I prayed for him. God loves him, and this little boy knows it.
Plus. God hates evil. He hates cancer. He hates loneliness and self-righteousness. Yet, he has chosen to care for us all so deeply... to be our Healer and our Friend. But, he is also a perfect judge who abhors evil. And he will judge at the end, he will fix all that has been broken.
Imagine a world with no cancer, no liars, no orphans, no sadness or shootings or natural disasters...
and the very best, best, best, BEST thing?
Jesus.
Psalm 147:1-6
               Praise the Lord! For it is good to sing praises to our God; for it is pleasant,
and a song of praise is fitting. The Lord builds up Jerusalem; He gathers the outcasts of Israel.
He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. He determines the number of the stars;
He gives to all of them their names. Great is the Lord, and abundant in power; his understanding is beyond measure.  The LORD lifts up the humble, he casts the wicked to the ground.




No comments:

Post a Comment